My name is Jerry Anderson. I've been making films and studying filmmaking all my life. This site is based on my accumulated notes put here both to remind myself and to share with anyone else who finds it useful.
Write and let me know what you'd like to see added to FreeFilmSchool.Org or to ask me questions about filmmaking. Together we can make this a great site for all filmmakers.
Although I enjoy hearing from my visitors I don't have the time to answer the same questions over and over. Please read through the following FAQ to see if I've already answered your question before you send me a question.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Q. How do I signup for this film school? What does it cost? Do you send me books? Will I get a certificate when I finish?
You don't sign up! Everything is free. I do not send you books because everything is online. You will not get a certificate when you "finish". In the real world you never finish learning and certificates mean nothing. Only what you create has any meaning.
2. Q. I want to be a filmmaker but don't know where to start.
Read everything on this site: www.4filmmaking.com. When you finish that check out the next question.
3. Q. I've read everything on your site. What should I do next?
- Subscribe to my newsletter. You will get an interesting podcast and some educational and entertaining emails.
- Buy any of the products I recommend on my site. I recommend things because I own them and think they are especially good.
- Stop reading and start doing. The fastest way to learn is by trying to apply the knowledge you have. Make some friends who are interested in filmmaking and make a movie.
4. Q. I need to know detail information about ...
Sorry. If it isn't on my site I either don't know or I probably don't have to time to explain it individually. Go ahead and ask and the next time I do an update I'll try to supply an answer.
5. Q. I want to be a famous, world-class, rich filmmaker. What should I do?
Sorry. If I knew the answer to that question I would be partying tonight with movie stars instead of writing on this web site.
6. Q. Where are the filmmaking lessons?
They are on this site www.4filmmaking.com.
7. Q. I have a website about something related to filmmaking and would like to copy some of the material on FreeFilmSchool.Org or 4Filmmaking.Com to put on my site.
Everything on my sites is copyrighted by me or others who contributed work. If you copy anything you are breaking the law and will get into serious trouble. I would be happy to have you link to my sites but I cannot allow any of my materials to be copied.
8. Q. I have written a great screenplay (or have a fabulous idea for one) and need help selling it.
Sorry. Thousands of people are trying to sell screenplays. If I knew how to sell screenplays I would be selling my own.
9. Q. Would you give me feedback on my screenplay (story idea)?
No, for two reasons. Story consulting takes many hours and there are people who are good at it whom you can pay. I am writing my own screenplays and if you send me your screenplay you might accuse me of stealing an idea.
10. Q. What camera/equipment should I buy?
I have no idea. What is your budget? What are you trying to do? If you don't have a great, completed screenplay you shouldn't even be thinking about equipment. By the time you finish the screenplay there will be a whole new set of better/cheaper equipment available. I recently saw that someone shot a movie using their cell-phone camera. Be creative. Use what you've got.
11. Q. Will you produce my film? Will you send me books? Will you send me a camera? Will you hire me to work for you so I can get a start in Hollywood?
No. Be serious! I'm giving you all this information for free. Isn't that enough?
Send us an email